Thursday, December 11, 2014

Recipe: Hot Spiced Cider

While this recipe isn't especially unusual, it's incredibly popular with guests when I serve it, so I'd like to share it with you. It's one of my favorites for get-togethers, because it's made in the slow cooker. So, I can prepare it in advance, and it's ready for company when they arrive...and it fills the house with the aroma of spices, too!

When I make it for company, I use apple juice, but when I prepare it for myself, I use a sugar-free apple juice drink mix. I'm okay with sugar substitutes, and it's a calorie-free holiday option.

Hot Spiced Cider

Ingredients:

8 cups (2 quarts) apple juice
3 (3") cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
3 allspice berries
1/2 orange, thickly sliced
1/2 lemon, thickly sliced
Brandy or rum (optional)

Directions:

Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on HIGH until boiling. Reduce heat to LOW. If desired, add a splash of brandy or rum to each glass before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment